Monday, July 17, 2006

Being Sent Down

This is a few days old now, it happened on Friday, but I wanted to make a brief comment. It has been decided what the punishments should be for the four Italian clubs involved in the match fixing scandal. They vary from being relegated with huge points reductions (effectively keeping Juventus down for two seasons at least), to relegation with smaller point deductions or just point deductions.
Now obviously I havent seen all the evidence, but I have followed the case. All I really want to say it that I am glad that this was dealt with harshly, and although I am sorry for the fans and the players of these clubs, corruption must be dealt with in such a manner. I felt that the calls after the Fifa World Cup (TM) that the allegations should be dropped were outrageous. Corruption like this just can't be ignored because you feel good to have won something.
Yes it was harsh, but it should serve both as a punishment and a warning against corruption.

No comments: