Thursday, July 27, 2006

Over The Kryptonite


Last week a saw a couple of new movies, 'Superman Returns' and 'Over The Hedge'.

Over The Hedge I thought was a delightful movie about a group of animals (above, trying to figure out if it's a bird, a plane, or a hedge) collecting food from a housing development that has been built over their forest. It made me laugh a lot, and I would thoroughly recommend it to children, adults and furries of all ages. Not really much else to say, it was just a charming film and I enjoyed it more than the other movie I saw last week.

So, a new Superman movie. Well I will start off by saying that I did enjoy this, it is a proper Superman movie, flying, rescues, witty banter and a little bit of romance. Most of my issues with it are small, for starters, kryptonite again! The one thing that has always put me off Superman is that he is just too strong, but having to rely on using kryptonite to give his enemies a chance gets really old.
The new Superman is similar, but whilst I thought he was good as Clark kent, his Superman was a bit humourless, in the old movies he seemed more of a fun guy. The new Lois is pretty rubbish to be honest, I'm sure they could have done better.
Lex came up with a sufficiently ludacrous plan, and nearly suceeded in killing superman. I must say that I actually cried a little, it was quite emotional.
Now I'm trying to write this without giving too much away, but let me say that there was an interesting factor added to this story, which certainly answers a question posed in 'Mallrats' and at first I wasn't sure, but then I kind of grew to like it. And I didn't even consider it until Lex mentions the posibility, so don't feel bad those of you who don't spot it either.
It's maybe not as good as Superman 1 and 2, but better than 3 and 4. Definately worth a watch.

No comments: